In Search of Hummingbirds, this week’s Locus Focus – weekdays 11 AM
Featuring Paw’d Defiance “Vaccine Hesitancy” and “The Husky Vaccine Task Force”
airing at 7am MWF and 7pm TThS
See our Weekly Schedule for all our programming
- Washington State Indivisible Podcast airs at 9am daily Panel: We Don’t Negotiate with Tourists: Stephan, Will, and Shasti discuss the GOP Senate’s bad-faith actions in blocking a bipartisan commission to investigate the January 6th insurrection on our nation’s Capitol, and why the Democrats seem to keep falling into the same trap. Then, in the second half, Stephan and Shasti chat with Danielle Garbe Reser, co-chair of the Washington State Democrats Rural Committee, and the 5th Congressional District representative to the Washington Democrats Executive Board, about how GOP Congressional outliers Jaime Herrera-Beutler (WA-03) and Dan Newhouse (WA-04) are being perceived by Republicans in Eastern Washington.
- WSIP Panel: There Are No Off Year Elections airs at 3pm MWF. This week is filing week, which, in the words of King County Democrats Chair Shasti Conrad, is like our Super Bowl. Along with Left Wing Digital’s Will Casey, we talk all about the specifics of filing for office, and how enthusiasm for running is way up this year’s odd-year election. Also, it’s not “off-year,” because, as the title declares, there are no off-years! In the second half, Shasti chats with Bothell City Councilmember Mason Thompson about his incredibly close race, and how that has implications for how turnout and grassroots work make all the difference.
- Paw’d Defiance airs at 7am MWF Vaccine Hesitancy and Husky Vaccine Task Force: In “Vaccine Hesitancy” we speak with Kathleen Shannon Dorcy, Associate Teaching Professor at UW Tacoma and the Director of Research, Education and Clinical Practice at the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance as well as a staff scientist at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center. Shannon Dorcy discusses how vaccines work including how they work once inside the body. She also talks about the FDA approval process and why/how the COVID vaccines were developed so quickly. Finally, Shannon Dorcy addresses some of the concerns expressed by those who are on the fence about getting vaccinated. In “The Husky Vaccine Task Force” we talk with Task Force members Emily Lopez and Anatoliy Voznyarskiy. A group of UW Tacoma Healthcare Leadership students is working to get Pierce County residents vaccinated and created the UWT Husky Vaccine Task Force. The group recruits volunteers to work at vaccine clinics and it’s also doing outreach to different communities to raise awareness and provide information about the vaccines. Also airs at 7pm TThS and 4pm on MWF
- Climate Talk airs daily at 10am. Fishing captain and scientist Chris Rilling talks from his experiences about the world’s fisheries Previous episodes and other climate and sustainability related programs air at 10pm. You can find show notes here.
- Locus Focus airs daily at 11am In Search of Hummingbirds: On this episode of Locus Focus we talk with nature writer and hummingbird obsessive Jon Dunn, whose new book The Glitter in the Green: In Search of Hummingbirds, describes his journey following the trail of these charismatic birds the full length of their worldwide range, from Alaska to South America. Jon Dunn is a natural history writer, photographer, and wildlife tour leader. His writing has appeared in a number of magazines, including BBC Wildlife. He is the author of three previous books, including Orchid Summer. He lives on his croft on the remote Shetland Islands.
- AAAS Science Magazine Podcast airs daily at 6am and 6pm
- Sound Poetry: Airs at 8pm daily. Previous episodes air at 8am daily.
- The Cannabis Corner airs TThs at 4pm
- Eat the Airwaves with Mike McCormick airs weekdays at 1:00pm and TTHS at 7pm
- Gonzo and Friends Airs at 5pm and 11pm weekdays
- Barnaby Druthers airs 1pm on Saturdays and Sundays. Nutmeg Junction airs at 5pm on Saturdays. This is a send up detective show produced by J. Timothy Quirk.
- Radio Tacoma Interviews are at noon daily!
For the complete weekly schedule go to http://radiotacoma.org/test-schedule/