Radio Tacoma just celebrated our first year on the air. After 4 years of work, this was an exciting landmark for us.
This is some of what we have spent the past year doing:
- creating content
- teaching others how to create content
- recording community announcements
- learning the FCC rules
- creating policy handbooks
- revamping the website
- visiting other LPFM stations to see how they function
- going to radio broadcast conferences
- looking for studio space
- tabling at events
- supporting fundraising events
- applying for grants
- appreciating donors
- hosting community events
- looking into getting a music license (more complicated than you might think)
- and other, boring exciting administrative stuff you probably don’t care about
Now, you ask, how can I submit a program? When will it air? Excellent questions, and ones that have been much on our minds.
We need more content. Until we get a studio, content will all be pre-recorded. And until we get a music license, all music will need to be unlicensed and played with permission of the artist. This means that we will not be able to air episodes from Pacifica Radio and other podcasts that contain music. And until we get more content, it is difficult to create a weekly schedule to put on our website. And until we get a weekly schedule, we won’t know precisely when your show might air.
So, there are some things that you can do for Radio Tacoma that do not involve giving us mass quantities of money:
- Learn how to record.
- Ask us to help you record.
- Preview recordings prior to broadcasting.
- Come to a committee meeting.
- Listen to 101.9 FM and let us know what you like.
You can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your patience,
The Volunteers at Radio Tacoma